What Qualifies as a Personal Injury Case?
Any accident involving negligent or reckless behavior is cause for legal attention. This is particularly true when the actions or inaction of another has led to your personal harm. Had others followed the law and rightfully acted as they were responsible for acting, there is less of a chance that you would have sustained an injury. Therefore, you have the right to file a claim and seek due financial compensation. But what qualifies as a personal injury case?
Generally speaking, a person will have a valid personal injury case if they suffered quantifiable (measurable) harm because of another's act or failure to act. An example may be a distracted driver who runs a red light and strikes a pedestrian. That driver should be held liable in civil court for the injuries that the pedestrian experienced.
In the example above, the injured pedestrian may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical treatment, including ongoing care, therapy, and more
- Emotional trauma, such as pain and suffering or loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost earnings, including past and future wages, benefits, and more
In some cases, additional compensation may be warranted. Whether you qualify for a personal injury case and what yours is worth will depend on the situation at hand, so it's important to talk to an attorney about your options.
It is essential that you understand your legal rights when it comes to knowing if you qualify for a settlement. If you believe that you are a victim of personal injury, seek legal assistance to determine if you have a case. If an attorney finds that your injuries were sustained at least partially because of the negligence or carelessness of another, they can help you file your claim. They can fight to see that you get compensated.
Pre-Trial Hearings & Personal Injury Settlements vs. Awards
Pre-trial hearings take place before any case goes to trial, and some cases do not even need to go to trial. If you have a strong enough case, it is highly likely that you will receive a settlement before your case even goes to trial. Some settlements are even reached while a trial is underway, but if you cannot come to an agreement with the defendant to reach a fair settlement, the outcome of your personal injury case will be determined by a jury.
Call Now to Learn If You Have a Personal Injury Case
It can be difficult to know whether you qualify for a personal injury case, but our attorneys are happy to talk to you about your unique situation and what options you have in seeking justice. We represent people across the United States in all types of personal injury lawsuits and can use our experience to provide the level of insight that guides you toward the right decision for your case.
Some of the types of personal injury cases we handle include, but are not limited to:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents. There are over 6 million traffic accidents in the U.S. each year, causing millions of injuries and more than 30,000 fatalities. Our attorneys help drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and cyclists who have been injured in any type of motor vehicle collision. This includes truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, rideshare accidents, car accidents, bus accidents, ATV crashes, and ambulance collisions.
- Work Accidents. Any worker in any occupation or industry may be injured or fall ill because of their work environment or job duties. Accidents happen, and when they do, our lawyers stand up for workers' rights by helping them seek compensation not only through workers' compensation or other programs but also through third-party personal injury lawsuits when applicable. This includes factory accidents, plant and refinery explosions, industrial accidents, offshore injuries, warehouse accidents, construction site injuries, and many others.
- Premises Liability. When accidents occur on another's property, the property owner may be responsible if they failed to provide a reasonably safe environment. Wet floors, defective stairways or elevators, inadequate security, and poorly maintained grounds may all cause serious injuries that make filing a premises liability lawsuit the right choice for a victim. We handle cases involving slip and fall accidents, dog bites, improper security, swimming accidents, and more.
- Product Liability. Defective and dangerous consumer products, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals sometimes make it to market, only to cause serious injuries and even deaths. We hold manufacturers accountable for design, marketing, and manufacturing defects that harm innocent people. Our firm takes on cases involving auto parts, child and infant products, appliances and electronics, construction equipment, tools, sports equipment, and more.
- Catastrophic Injuries. Some injuries are so severe that they change the course of a person's life. They require extensive treatment and may forever limit one's ability to work and even perform daily activities. They also cause psychological trauma and will impact a person's family. With cases like these, our personal injury lawyers pursue the maximum compensation to help a person face the most stable future possible. We handle catastrophic injury cases involving severe burns, spinal cord injuries, amputation, traumatic brain injuries, and others.
If you are still unsure if your accident and injury case qualifies for legal action, you can speak with a lawyer who can further explain the details of filing and what exactly you'll need.