McAllen Work Accident Attorneys
Powerful, Proven Counsel for Survivors of On-the-Job Injuries
Work injuries are devastating. People who are injured on the job experience more than just pain—they experience numerous hardships, from the physical to the financial. Work injuries cause severe pain while keeping people from earning income, making it harder to afford medical care as a result. The pressure produced by medical debt adds an extra hardship to the lives of employees who are already suffering because of employer negligence.
If you have been injured while working, it is important to contact an experienced work accident attorney in McAllen, TX. Employers who have caused injury through negligence may use frustrating tactics to prevent employees from obtaining the recovery to which they are entitled. Some employers, and their insurance companies, will purposely litter the claims process with obstacles to frustrate injured employees and force them to settle for less than they deserve.
If you have been injured on the job, don’t lose out on the recovery you deserve! Call our McAllen work accident attorneys for a free consultation at (888) 493-1629.
Work Accidents by the Numbers
In 2016, 5,190 workers died while working in the United States. This means that more than 14 people lost their lives in workplace accidents each day. Each of these deaths represent an accident that could have been prevented. When a worker is killed or injured, it is almost always caused by negligence.
The Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) serves as the main regulatory body that protects workers in the United States. With only approximately 2,100 inspectors protecting over 130,000,000 workers, workplace negligence is bound to occur undetected. However, this does not relieve employers from the obligation to protect their employees.
Common Work Accidents
OSHA attempts to protect workers from common accidents by maintaining a list of the most common violations that they cite employers for.
The top 10 citations given by OSHA include the following:
- Fall protection
- Hazard communication
- Respiratory protection
- Control of hazardous energy
- Powered industrial trucks
- Machinery and machine guarding
- Fall protection training
- Electrical hazards
These hazards, when left unaddressed, cause catastrophic injuries to workers. Catastrophic injuries permanently subject workers to pain, immobility, and diminished earning capacity, forcing an undue amount of hardship on honest and hardworking Americans.
Work Injuries in McAllen, TX
Workers are placed at risk each day by the negligence of employers. The following incidents recently caused injury to workers in McAllen, Texas:
- In 2013, a worker at a Mission Home Depot was killed in a forklift accident. He was crushed by large metal doors that fell from the forklift.
- In 2017, a man was killed while operating a forklift at the McAllen produce terminal. He was crushed when his forklift fell from a concrete platform.
- OSHA fined McAllen company Lineage Logistics $58,000 after it found numerous violations at the business’ worksite. The company received 9 violations for neglecting health and safety standards.
- OSHA fined Cinch Connectors Inc., a McAllen telecommunications company, for neglecting employee safety. The fines totaled $41,000 and came after an employee was injured while working.
If you want to make sure your accident never happens again, you may need to take your employer to court. A jury verdict or a settlement is the only thing that motivates companies to change. Often, fines and fees are simply not large enough to compel employers to change their policies. A lawsuit, however, can create lasting change.
Work Accident FAQ
What are the first steps I should take after a work accident?
- The first thing you should do after a workplace accident—or any accident—is seek medical attention. Call 911 if someone has been seriously injured and requires emergency care. If injuries are moderate, an emergency room visit may be in order. For minor injuries, you can schedule an appointment with your doctor or visit your local urgent care clinic.
- After you've seen the doctor, you should make sure that your employer knows of your work accident. In McAllen and across the state, you have 30 days to report an on-the-job injury to your employer. Make your report in writing and keep a copy for your records.
- If you were seriously injured or if you are having any problems filing a workers' compensation claim or getting help from your employer, you should talk to an attorney. You have the right to receive medical care and financial support if you're injured on the job. An experienced work accident attorney can protect your rights and interests if your employer or their insurance company is trying to delay or deny your claim.
Is my McAllen work accident covered by workers' compensation?
Workers' compensation is a type of insurance that covers on-the-job injuries and illnesses. In Texas, employers have the option not to carry this type of insurance, which means they would be liable (legally responsible) for paying injured workers' medical bills and lost earnings. Whether your McAllen work accident is covered by workers' comp will depend on your employer's status as a subscriber or non-subscriber, as well as your role and whether you're classified as an employee or an independent contractor.
There's a lot to consider when it comes to workers' compensation and whether individual workplace accidents are covered. Our attorneys can review your situation to determine what applies and how to help you get the help you need. All you have to do is call (888) 493-1629 for a free consultation!
What are some of the most common workplace accidents?
Any worker in any industry may be injured in a workplace accident. Workers in logging, construction, mining, aviation, and offshore drilling are typically at the highest risk of injury, but no one is completely safe—not even employees with desk jobs.
Some of the most common work accidents include:
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents
- Struck by falling or swinging objects
- Transportation incidents
- Electrocution and electrical injuries
- Heavy machinery accidents
- Overexertion injuries
Regardless of the cause or type of your workplace accident, it will serve you well to talk to a legal professional about your options. You deserve to receive the best medical treatment and should also be supported financially while you're unable to work. At Arnold & Itkin, we fight to make sure you're treated fairly every step of the way.
Contact a McAllen Work Accident Attorney Today
If you have been injured while working, contact an experienced McAllen work accident attorney from Arnold & Itkin LLP today. Our firm has fought for the rights of Texan workers and is dedicated to making sure that negligent companies are held accountable for injuries their actions cause. No one should be forced to suffer because of the carelessness of their employer.
Our lawyers have won billions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for clients. We take pride in providing our clients with the help they need during some of the most challenging moments of their lives. No company is too large and no case is too complex for Arnold & Itkin.
Contact our McAllen work accident attorneys today at (888) 493-1629. Your consultation is free, and you do not pay any fees unless we win your case.