On Saturday evening, authorities received a 911 call when a 2-year-old girl had either fallen into a pool or was found unconscious by the pool of a Hampton Inn in Marysville, Ohio. It was the first of many. Soon, they received numerous calls for people found unconscious or reporting symptoms such as dizziness and burning throats. In total, seven people, including both adults and children, were taken to local hospitals to be treated for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning; they have been reported to be in critical condition. In addition, two other people were treated at the hotel, and five other people sought out their own treatment.
The one common factor?
All of the people who required hospitalization had been at the Hampton Inn’s pool area.
The entire hotel was evacuated following the 911 calls, but the exact source of the carbon monoxide is currently unclear. The hotel management team has not yet been reached for comment.
The Danger of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, and invisible gas that can have catastrophic consequences for those who are unknowingly exposed. In homes, carbon monoxide is most commonly found in devices powered by flame and gas—not electricity. Common devices include ranges, ovens, space heaters, and furnaces. Because it is so difficult to detect, people must rely on carbon monoxide detectors to keep themselves safe. When these are not working correctly, not adequately maintained, or are not present at all, exposure can lead to poisoning.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Mental confusion
- Nausea or vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
If the exposure is bad enough, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to death.
At Arnold & Itkin, our hearts go out to those who have been impacted by this tragic incident. We will be following this story as it develops.
- Chemical Exposure,
- Premises Liability