A new VitalSigns report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) showed that more than 2.5 million people went to the emergency room in 2012 after being injured in a motor vehicle accident. The cost of these injuries is staggering. According to the CDC, motorists who went to the ER to treat injuries after an accident racked up $18 billion in lifetime medical bills and an estimated $33 billion in lost wages.
Other key findings from the report include:
- The average emergency room cost for each motorist injured in a car accident was $3,300 and another $57,000 over the injured motorist's lifetime
- Over 75% of the medical costs were incurred during the first 18 months following the accident
- Motorists between the ages of 15 and 29 had the highest rate of injuries, accounting for 38% of all vehicle accident-related injuries in 2012
- Motorists over the age of 80 were hospitalized at the highest rate following a car accident
- Americans were hospitalized for over 1 million days due to vehicle accident-related injuries
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important that you understand your legal rights. Arnold & Itkin has been helping victims of car accidents recover damages for their injuries for over a decade. Our firm has won more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients. Contact our car accident attorneys to learn how we can help you.