100% Free Consultation (888) 493-1629
- Arnold & Itkin LLP

Body of Second Seacor Power Crew Member Recovered

Officials have confirmed that the body of a second crew member from the Seacor Power has been recovered from the water. The Lafourche Parish Coroner’s Office confirmed that the person was a 69-year-old crew member of the capsized lift boat. His body was found about 33 miles from the locations of the vessel’s wreckage.  

Divers have been trying to enter the Seacor Power, which is partially submerged where it tipped over, since Wednesday. However, ongoing severe weather has prevented them from reaching the ship. There’s hope that the remaining 11 missing crew members are still alive inside the Seacor Power.  

"Right now, we're hoping for a miracle," Stephen Walcott of the coroner’s office said. 

Hope Remains for the 11 Missing Seacor Power Crew Members 

Reports indicate that three survivors were communicating with rescuers via radio shortly after Tuesday’s accident. They could be seen clinging to the side of the overturned lift boat. Two of them returned inside the hull to take shelter after the other fell into the water. They haven’t been seen or heard from since. 

Diving crews have been unlucky in the days after the accident. Persistently rough weather and technical issues have inhibited efforts to reach the ship. On Thursday afternoon, guardsmen threw weighted lines against the hull of the ship to let anyone inside know that help is on the way. 

"There is the potential they are still there, but we don't know," Petty Officer 2nd Class Jonathan Lally said Thursday. "We're still searching for 12 people because there are 12 still missing." 

Family members of the missing have expressed a mixture of fear and hope to the media. One woman, the fiancée of a crane operator on the Seacor Power, hopes that all of the missing are still alive in an air pocket on the lift boat.  

She also expressed her frustration that her partner was placed in this situation, and that she asked him not to go out in Tuesday’s hurricane-force conditions.  

"I asked, 'Who gave the orders' and of course—silence," she said. "And he knew they shouldn't have been going out." 

An Investigation Into the Capsizing Is Ongoing 

Experts have expressed concern over the fact that the Seacor Power attempted to go out in winds that were between 80 to 90 mph. While they can handle rough weather while stationary, the vessels are extremely vulnerable to poor conditions if they’re floating as the lift boat was during Tuesday’s accident. 

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has arrived at the scene to investigate the incident. The agency is looking into the events that led to the Seacor Power being sent on a mission during unfavorable weather conditions. It’ll also look into whether other companies played a role in sending out the lift boat, which we en route to a Talos Energy platform to deliver supplies.  

"He is gathering such information as we speak," NTSB spokesman Chris O'Neil told the press. "The investigation will look into the people involved, the machinery, and the environment in which it happened, and clearly there was some weather going on in this particular tragedy." 

Our Seacor Power lawyers will continue to follow this story as the search for survivors continues.  


Secure Your Future & Request a 100% Free Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.