Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident?
Over the last five years, the Houston area has averaged about 45,000 car accidents a year. With its sprawling suburbs and growing population, congestion on the roads and freeways is likely here to stay. Houston has always been a commuter city in which 9 in 10 citizens drive to work. While road improvements and an increased presence of law enforcement can help curtail the number of traffic accidents, crashes will still occur more often than one would like and many are not just fender benders.
What are the common causes of car crashes?
If there is one thing that can be said about car accidents it's that they are never the same. Each accident will have different extenuating factors and should be handled as such. That being said, there are certain causes that are more prevalent than others. Unfortunately, these causes are almost all preventable through the proper care and caution, and can usually be attributed to driver negligence or reckless driver behavior.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents include the following:
- Poor maintenance of the vehicle. Cars are delicate machines and should be treated as such. When, however, they are abused and / or neglected, it can lead to harrowing accidents. Not properly monitoring tire pressure, failing to get regular checkups, and the like can all lead to serious accidents.
- Aggressive driving / road rage. Driving is not without its emotionally distress. This, however, does not excuse drivers who fail to maintain their control. Aggressive driving can manifest into unsafe driving tactics, such as tailgating, excessive lane changes, and speeding.
- Drunken driving. It is no surprise to learn that drunk driving is a serious hazard. When a driver gets behind the wheel while impaired, they do not have the cognitive function to be able to handle the rigors of the road. Drunk driving can cause them to become drowsy, have slowed reaction times and to lose focus.
- Unsafe roadways. In some cases, when the state fails to take care of the highways across the nation, it can lead to unsafe driving conditions. Such things as ignored potholes, roads with limited visibility, failure to post proper traffic signs and the like can all be contributing factors to serious collisions.
- Distracted drivers. In some cases, a driver can appear to be doing everything right and still be endangering every driver in the area. A driver who is talking on the phone and not paying attention to the road is cognitively distracted. A driver who is adjusting the radio is manually distracted. A driver who is trying to read a map is visually distracted. A driver who is texting while driving is all three.
- Defective equipment / design failure. Some accidents can be attributed to the equipment of the vehicle itself--even if the driver did everything right. When tires cannot be aired properly, brakes give out, or steering that locks up, these situations can be a result from the design or manufacturing the vehicle.
- Tired drivers. On long stretches of road, it is not a surprise that some of the drivers on the road are fatigued. While this is uncomfortable, it is also important to remember that it is dangerous. Tired drivers can nod off and can become serious hazards to those people who are around them.
What happens after a car accident?
After a car accident, your mind may be riddled with questions such as:
- How am I going to pay my bills?
- Will I be compensated for all of my expenses?
Answers to these questions and more can be answered by our firm. We have the ability to evaluate your case, help you file a claim, and make sure that you don't get cut short of your deserved recompense. After an accident, it is important that you remain at the scene until you can speak with the other party involved if doing so is possible. Collect information such as the name, phone number, license plate number, and insurance information of the other driver. This can eliminate confusion and undue liability. Also take note of the road conditions at the time of the accident, as well as how many people were traveling in each vehicle. When law enforcement officials arrive at the scene, they will be able to compile an accident report as well.
It is also highly important that you closely guard what you say immediately following a collision. Avoid admitting any liability. In some cases, it is best to wait until you have procured the help of an attorney. An attorney can advise you on what to say, when to file, and what information to use so that you get the maximum compensation possible. Car accidents can leave victims with medical expenses, continued rehabilitation costs, and lost wages due to time taken off of work to recover. Victims may also suffer from emotional injuries such as posttraumatic stress disorder. Some of these are areas that insurance companies may not readily compensate you for. This is why it is beneficial to speak with an attorney like the ones at our firm.
Contact a Houston Injury Lawyer! If you have been victimized in a car accident, it is in your best interests to get the involvement of a personal injury law firm as soon as possible. At Arnold & Itkin, our personal injury lawyers know how damaging car accidents can be; we are unwaveringly committed to ensuring that our clients receive the high-quality representation that they need to protect their legal rights. Should you choose to work with our firm, you can be confident in our ability to be aggressive when need be and still compassionate to your plight. Fill Out Our Brief Online Form