The Plants & Refineries in San Antonio, Texas
- Calumet Refining
- Gen Texas Oil Company
- Mayo Oil Inc
- San Antonio Refinery (NuStar Energy)
- SDC Montana
- Valero Energy Corporate
- Venus Oil Co
- Warren Industrial Lubricants
2018 Valero Refinery Explosion in San Antonio, TX
In April 2018, a fire and explosion were reported in the San Antonio Valero refinery. Employees were working near the facility’s 12,000-barrel alkylation unit inside the refinery when a line carrying liquids failed and led to an explosion. As a result, 28 workers were injured—leaving many with PTSD, orthopedic injuries, and hearing loss. The accident may have been caused by negligence on the part of Valero and a subcontractor.
Arnold & Itkin in the News
Texas’ Most Tragic Plant Explosions
Plant and refinery accidents are common in Texas, but they seem to be happening with even more frequency and severity as the industry grows in strength, especially due to increased drilling in the Permian Basin. Some of the most tragic plant explosions that have occurred in Texas include cases from only a few years ago, including the BP Texas City disaster, the Corrigan plywood factory explosion, and the 2013 West Fertilizer explosion.
Read more about these incidents below.
- Phillips Petroleum Company Plant (October 1980) - In 1989, a series of explosions was sparked by an ethylene leak at a Phillips Petroleum Company plant in Pasadena, TX. A valve was not secured properly, so 85,000 pounds of flammable ethylene-isobutane gas were released into the plant. There were no detectors or warning systems in place for worker safety. Within 2 minutes, the gas ignited with the power of two-and-a-half tons of dynamite. As a result, 23 people were killed.
- BP Texas City Refinery (March 2005) - The Texas City refinery's pipes needed replacing and were leaking fumes. As a result, there was a massive explosion caused by the ignition of a hydrocarbon vapor cloud. Despite repeated warning, the owners and managers failed to keep the work site safe. Around 170 workers were severely injured and 15 were killed as a result. Our San Antonio refinery accident lawyers represented several of those injured in the blast.
- West Fertilizer Company Explosion (April 2013) - An explosion occurred at a fertilizer storage and distribution center in West, TX. The incident injured more than 250 people and killed 15 others. It was later discovered that the explosion occurred due to a deliberately-set fire.
Common Types of Catastrophic Refinery Accidents
Refineries are some of the most dangerous places to work because of all the hazardous material contained within the plant. Workers risk exposure to different hazardous chemicals depending on the type of refinery.
Below are some of the most common types of accidents that occur in refineries:
- Oil Refinery Plant Accidents– Oil refineries use complex equipment and technology to refine oil into other products. Accidents typically occur from the refining process overheating or by defective equipment. This typically occurs during the process used to refine the crude oil.
- Plant & Refinery Explosions– Refineries are dangerous because of the highly flammable materials contained inside the plant. If workers are not trained in proper safety procedure, employers could be responsible for a major explosion.
- Plant & Refinery Fires – Along with explosions, fires can also occur in a refinery accident. Since refineries contain highly flammable materials, fires can erupt if the materials are not handled properly or if workers are not trained to handle them.
San Antonio Wrongful Death Lawyers for Refinery Accident Victims
When accidents happen at plant or refineries, they usually aren’t minor. In many cases, there are countless lives that are claimed during catastrophic accidents at industrial sites. There is no way to express the devastating loss of a loved one—especially when the accident could have been prevented. At Arnold & Itkin, we have helped hundreds of families who have experienced the loss of a loved one from a refinery accident.
Our San Antonio refinery accident attorneys represent the families of killed industrial workers, working tirelessly to get the best possible outcome for their future. If you are currently grieving the loss of a loved one, we encourage you to contact us. We can handle the legal complexities, so you can focus on you and your family’s well-being.
Our San Antonio Refinery Lawyers Have Helped Injured Workers Win Billions
Our firm is passionate about helping injured workers receive the compensation they deserve, which is why we have recovered billions of dollars on our clients' behalf—clients who were facing similar circumstances as you.
- $97 Million Secured for Refinery Workers: Our firm was able to secure a huge settlement for clients who were injured in a refinery fire. Arnold & Itkin attorneys fought for justice against some of the largest corporations in the world. This settlement helped our clients receive the medical attention need and financial security for their future.
- $12 Million Received for Burn Injuries: Our San Antonio refinery accident attorneys recovered $12 million on behalf of a plant worker who suffered burns when a safety valve failed at the refinery he was working at. Arnold & Itkin helped this client receive the compensation they deserved to move on from this tragic incident.
Check out more of our firm’s victories here.
Contact Our San Antonio Law Firm for a Free Consultation: (888) 493-1629
Our San Antonio refinery accident attorneys have helped hundreds of people receive the financial support they need to take care of themselves and their families. Don’t let the responsible parties get away with their actions, you deserve to be compensated for your losses. We can help you step by step to figure out how to rebuild your life, pay for your medical care, and more.
Contact us today for a free consultation: (888) 493-1629. We can listen to your story and review all your legal options.