Calumet Lubricants Accident Attorneys
Injured on the Job? Our Calumet Lubricants Accident Lawyers Can Help You.
Calumet Specialty Products Partners is an independent producer established in 1916 that specializes in high-quality hydrocarbon products. This oil refinery is an industrial processing plant where crude oil is processed into more useful petroleum products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, asphalt base, and other products. Over 37,000 gallons of pollution were released and 22 accidents occurred at Calumet Lubricants plants in 2013. According to Louisiana Bucket Brigade, an environmental justice organization, 75% of Calumet Lubricants' accident reports were made by outside complaints rather than facility reports. Calumet is required by law to report all accidents; however, the company seems to be failing to regulate itself.
Over 200 accidents were reported in Calumet Lubricants from 2005-2014. The most likely causes of these accidents are equipment malfunction, poor employee training, unseen corrosion, poor facility maintenance and unsafe working conditions. Time and time again, Calumet Lubricants accident attorneys at Arnold & Itkin LLP hear about employee injuries that could have been prevented. We refuse to stand by and let companies neglect their duty. If you have been injured in a Calumet Lubricant accident, contact our refinery accident attorneys as soon as possible. Review your options for free with an attorney today.
To learn how our accident attorneys can help you, get in touch today for a free case review: (888) 493-1629.
Calumet Lubricants Locations Nationwide
- Bel-Ray Company, LLC (New Jersey)
- Calumet Burnham Terminal (Illinois)
- Calumet Cotton Valley Refining (Louisiana)
- Calumet Dickinson Refining (Texas)
- Calumet Karns City (Pennsylvania)
- Calumet Louisiana Synthetics (Missouri)
- Calumet Montana Refining (Montana)
- Calumet San Antonio Refining (Texas)
- Specialty Oilfield Solutions (Texas)
- Royal Purple (Texas)
2016 Calumet Lubricants Wrongful Death
In 2016, a Calumet employee was fatally injured while on the job at the Shreveport refinery. The employee sustained severe injuries while working on the site and died on his way to the hospital. According to the United States Department of Labor, Calumet Shreveport Lubricants & Waxes LLC was issued citations for 22 alleged serious violation and 2 alleged repeated violations of federal health and safety regulations. The company’s negligence is what lead to the death of this refinery worker.
“Working in a plant is so dangerous because the equipment is so old.
There hasn’t been a new plant brought online for decades. Then you
have immense pressure and dangerous chemicals all around you. It’s
a recipe for disaster—and that’s why so many people are hurt.
They make so much money from these plants, and they invest so little back.
I’m always shocked at how they foresaw the problem—they knew
it was a problem—and they just didn’t fix it. It shocks me.”
– Plant Explosion Lawyer Kurt Arnold
Our Refinery Accident Attorneys Have Won Billions for Injured Workers
At Arnold & Itkin, we've helped injured workers win billions to help them take care of themselves and their families. We have won hundreds of cases and have set records on local, state, and national levels. We focus on helping our clients through every step of the way because we understand how overwhelming the time is after an accident.
Our Calumet Lubricants workers have helped injured workers win cases nationwide:
- $97 Million Secured for Refinery Workers: Our firm was able to secure a huge settlement for clients who were injured in a refinery fire. Arnold & Itkin attorneys fought for justice against some of the largest corporations in the world. This settlement helped our clients receive the medical attention they needed and secure their financial future.
- $39.7 Million Received for Industrial Accident: Our refinery accident attorneys recovered a record-setting verdict of $39.7 million on behalf of a worker who was severely burned in a dust fire and explosion at a Georgia-Pacific plywood plant in Corrigan, TX.
- $12 Million Received for Burn Injuries: Our refinery accident attorneys recovered $12 million on behalf of a plant worker who suffered burns when a safety valve failed at the refinery he was working at. Arnold & Itkin helped this client receive the compensation he deserved to move on.
Calumet Lubricant Accident FAQ
Why is working at a refinery so dangerous?
Working at a plant or refinery may seem inherently dangerous. Working with and around heavy equipment and hazardous substances are a part of a worker’s normal routine, but this does not excuse accidents that injure and kill these workers. Calumet Specialty Products Partners and other large corporations that own plants and refineries across the U.S. have an obligation to comply with state and federal safety regulations. They must take measures to keep their plants reasonably safe from hazards that could spell disaster for their hard-working employees. Working at a refinery becomes dangerous when companies fail to implement safety standards and place more importance on making money than protecting their employees and the environment.
What should I do if I lost a family member in an accident at a Calumet refinery?
If your spouse or other family member lost his or her life in an accident at a Calumet refinery, you’re probably looking for answers. Why did this happen in the first place? Could anything have been done to prevent this loss? In the midst of the heartbreak you’re going through, you’re also facing difficult decisions about your future and how you’ll provide for yourself and your family. You may have grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit against the party that’s responsible. A wrongful death suit allows for the recovery of additional compensation, for all lost earnings, emotional trauma, loss of companionship, pain and suffering, and more. It can make more of an impact against the responsible party and help a family experience peace of mind in seeing justice served.
What steps should I take if I was injured in a Calumet Lubricants accident?
If you were injured in an accident at any Calumet Lubricants refinery, you need to know that the steps you take right now will impact your health and your ability to get the medical care and financial help you need. Take these steps and protect your interests, because your employer and the insurance company certainly aren’t going to.
If you’ve been injured at a plant or refinery:
- Seek medical attention. For serious and life-threatening injuries, call 911. For less severe injuries, you can visit your local urgent care center or emergency room. You can also schedule an appointment with your doctor if you feel that your injuries are minor. You should see a doctor as soon as possible, so he or she can assess your condition and offer the treatment you need.
- Tell your employer. You need to tell your supervisor or manager that you were injured. Even if you think they already know, you should inform them in writing to make sure you have a record of this. You have a limited time to report on-the-job injuries, or your right to benefits could be jeopardized.
- Involve an attorney. Particularly when it comes to serious refinery accidents, you may experience significant delays or issues that make it difficult to get the right care and enough financial support to make ends meet. You can’t afford to sit around and wait for your employer to treat you right. It’s just not going to happen. You need to involve a legal professional who can fight for your rights. The earlier you involve an attorney, the sooner you can get the help you so desperately need.
Contact Our Calumet Lubricant Accident Attorneys for a Free Consultation
At Arnold & Itkin, we are committed to helping you and your family receive the best possible outcome for your case. We understand the devastating time you are going through. We are here to help you every step of the way: our team often helps our clients find medical specialists who are experts in treating their unique injuries; we make sure our clients pay nothing toward their case so they can focus on getting better and making ends meet; and we fight to make sure the company at fault cannot escape responsibility for what they did. Our work not only helps our client's future—a strong case secures the future of every person who works at the same refinery as our clients.
Our Calumet Lubricant accident attorneys' vast knowledge and experience can help you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact our firm today (888) 493-1629.
Arnold & Itkin in the News
- Workers Injured in Chemical Plant Explosion Obtain $30 Million Verdicts In Two Louisiana State Court Trials Against Plant Owners/Operators
- CSB: 'Process safety management program deficiencies' lead to deadly 2013 explosion
- New Orleans Jury Awards $16M to 4 Workers for 2013 Plant Explosion
- ComDust victim awarded $39.7 million
- Houston jury awards $39.7 million verdict to man injured in Corrigan plant explosion
- Williams Cos. Hit With $13.6M Verdict In La. Plant Explosion