Caj is one of the most decorated and successful trial lawyers in America. He has made a habit out of winning huge verdicts and settlements for his clients over his two decades of legal practice, no matter the odds. It would be difficult to find another trial lawyer anywhere in the country that has tried more cases to verdict and obtained more life-changing settlements in recent years. In addition to his results at trial, Caj has the unique distinction of also arguing many significant to appeals to a wide range of appellate tribunals, including the Texas Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Caj’s success in the courtroom has not gone unnoticed. He has been nationally recognized by Best Lawyers every year since 2017 as one of America’s most accomplished attorneys in Admiralty and Maritime Law. After being named a Rising Star by Texas Monthly multiple times in his early years of practice, Caj is now regularly named as a Super Lawyer by that publication. H Texas Magazine has deemed Caj a “Top Professional on the Fast Track” and a “Top Lawyer for the People.” Houstonia Magazine has also joined the long list of publications highlighting Caj’s success for his clients.
When everything is on the line, you need a lawyer who never backs down from a challenge. Caj will not, and he has proved it time and again. Caj’s relentless work has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars of jury verdicts and settlements for people suffering from the worst times of their lives. Just a small sample of the recent results Caj has obtained as lead trial counsel is staggering:
- $78,000,000 settlement for injured west Texas oil field worker
- $18,750,000 settlement for Louisiana man burned in a pipeline explosion
- $18,000,000 jury verdict for a south Texas family injured in a shopping center
- $12,500,000 settlement for a Mississippi man injured on an offshore oil rig
- $12,000,000 settlement for a Louisiana boat captain injured on the job
- $11,000,000 judgment for a businessman wronged when a company breached its contract with him
- $10,000,000 settlement for an injured child
- $10,000,000 settlement for a family who lost its husband, dad, and sole income provider in a truck accident
- $9,100,000 jury verdict for an injured oilfield worker
- $9,000,000 settlement for an injured oil field worker in Texas
Caj’s success for his clients stems from the case preparation at Arnold & Itkin:
- Unmatched preparation – we will not be outworked
- Dedication – we will do everything we can to get each client the maximum recovery
- Unrivaled resources – we will put everything into winning our cases
- Refusal to back down – We will go toe-to-toe with the biggest companies in the world, and we will win
- Endurance – we will treat and prepare every case as if it is going to trial
That formula rests on Caj’s strong sense of justice and his belief that the American jury system is the best way to help people get what they deserve when it matters the most. He does his best to make sure his clients receive maximum compensation when companies refuse to take responsibility for their wrongful conduct.
One of Caj’s greatest strengths is his vast and diverse experience. He spent four years practicing complex commercial litigation and appellate law at one of Texas’s largest and most well-respected firms. He also had the honor of serving as a law clerk for the Honorable Reynaldo Garza on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Additionally, Caj spent five years handling high stakes litigation for ExxonMobil, overseeing the company’s largest cases in various states with tens of billions of dollars in exposure. And on top of that, most of his career has unfolded in the courtroom, representing injured clients who have no option but to win. It is unlikely that there is a lawyer in the country with a more well-rounded and accomplished resume.
Caj grew up in the small west Texas town of Sweetwater. He attended Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas where he graduated cum laude with honors. Caj then got his law degree from the University of Texas with Kurt Arnold and Jason Itkin. Caj was the first lawyer to join Arnold & Itkin after the firm was founded in 2004.
When he is not in the courtroom, Caj is with his wife Jodi and his three kids at a sporting event, or outdoors at their west Texas ranch or at their home in Park City, Utah. Caj and Jodi are members at Kingwood United Methodist Church and volunteer for Young Life.