LyondellBasell Accident Lawyers
Helping Victims of LyondellBasell Chemical Plant Accidents Nationwide
LyondellBasell is one of the largest plastic, chemical, and refining companies in the world. With over 13,000 employees and 55 manufacturing sites in 17 countries, it is one of the leading oil companies in the industry. Since its establishment in 1953, LyondellBasell has become the largest global licensor of polyolefin technologies.
LyondellBasell also operates one of the largest refineries in the United States. This refinery is located in the Houston Ship Channel and refines heavy, high-sulfur crude oil at a capacity of about 268,000 barrels-per-day. The facility produces gasoline and fuel components, low-sulfur diesel, jet fuel, and lubricants. Refinery and plant workers have one of the most dangerous jobs because handling these gasoline and fuel components can be risky if the proper equipment and safety procedures aren’t employed.
Common causes of industrial plant and refinery accidents include:
- Malfunctioning equipment
- Chemical spills
- Poor training of refinery employees
- Unseen corrosion
- Dirty and impure chemicals
- Poor facility maintenance
- Failure to follow OSHA Guidelines
July 2021 LyondellBasell Chemical Leak in La Porte
In July 2021, there were reports of multiple chemical-related problems at numerous LyondellBasell plants in the area. On July 13, a power outage caused heavy flaring—the release of flammable gas via safety valves—and resulted in thick black smoke rising over the community of Sulphur, Louisiana. A few days later, on July 16, a pungent smell caused by chemical pollution enveloped the community of Galena Park. Officials determined that the chemical emissions came from the LyondellBasell refinery in Houston after residents reported headache and nausea symptoms. LyondellBasell admitted that the odor came from a leak in one of their storage tanks.
Then, on the evening of Tuesday, July 27, yet another chemical leak at a LyondellBasell plant killed two workers and hospitalized 30 others in La Porte, not far from Galena Park. At least two of those employees were in serious condition immediately following the leak, according to the site manager. One reportedly had a serious burn injury and the other had respiratory issues due to toxic exposure.
Our firm reported on this incident on our blog:
- La Porte LyondellBasell Chemical Leak Latest: 2 Dead, at least 30 Injured
- LyondellBasell Chemical Plant Accident: Investigation Underway
The sheer frequency of chemical spills and leaks at LyondellBasell plants is notable. This company is responsible for handling hundreds of thousands of tons of toxic chemicals, often right next to residential communities. If they fail to manage dangerous chemicals safely, they need to be investigated and held accountable.
Our La Porte injury lawyers are investigating the LyondellBasell chemical plant accident. If you have any questions about what happened, speak with our LyondellBasell attorneys in a free consultation.
Local Media Coverage of the AI LyondellBasell Investigation
- Two lawsuits in deadly La Porte chemical leak accuse LyondellBasell of 'gross negligence'
- Nearly two dozen lawsuits filed against LyondellBasell following deadly acid leak
- 2 workers killed in La Porte chemical leak were 'true family men'
Investigating Plant Accidents at LyondellBasell & Elsewhere
Time and time again, our attorneys at Arnold & Itkin have represented plant and refinery workers that that were severely injured due to unsafe working conditions and a lack of safety equipment or training. If you or a loved one have been injured in a refinery accident, contact our LyondellBasell accident attorneys. We refuse to stand by and let companies neglect their duty to their workers. Our firm has helped hundreds of workers recover what they needed to cover their medical expenses, lost wages, and more—winning billions in results.
Learn more about how a LyondellBasell injury attorney at Arnold & Itkin can fight to recover your medical expenses, lost wages, and more. Contact us today: (888) 493-1629.
LyondellBasell Locations Nationwide
LyondellBasell has 55 manufacturing locations in 17 different countries worldwide. The company has major presences across the planet, including Europe, North America, Australia, Asia, Africa, South and Central America.
LyondellBasell has 26 plants and refineries in the United States, including:
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Corpus Christi, Texas
- Edison, New Jersey
- Fairport Harbor, Ohio
- Houston, Texas
- La Porte, Texas
- Morris, Illinois
- Pasadena, Texas
- Westlake, Louisiana
- ...and many other cities
2008 LyondellBasell Crane Accident
In 2008, 7 workers were severely injured while 4 others were killed when a crane collapsed on them at a LyondellBasell plant in Pasadena, TX. According to the United States Department of Labor, the 30-story-tall crane—capable of lifting 1 million pounds—fell over at the company’s refinery in southeast Houston. LyondellBasell was in the initial stages of a large turnaround in their Coking Unit. Deep South Crane & Rigging Company was retained to bring one of world’s largest mobile cranes to the site to remove the derricks from the top structure and then the coking drums. This incident, involving multiple parties, shows how vital it is to have well-maintained equipment.
Our LyondellBasell Accident Attorneys Can Help You
Arnold & Itkin has vast experience working on complex cases involving some of the largest oil refinery companies worldwide. Our single-minded focus on our clients' needs has equipped us to recover over $10 billion in settlements and verdicts for our clients. We have achieved record-setting verdicts and settlements, working tirelessly to help our clients rebuild their lives when the worst has happened.
The record-setting results our LyondellBasell accident attorneys have achieved include:
- $97 Million for Refinery Fire Survivors: Arnold & Itkin was able to secure a huge settlement for clients who were injured in a refinery fire. Arnold & Itkin attorneys fought for justice against some of the largest corporations in the world. This settlement helped our clients receive the medical attention they needed and the future financial security they deserved.
- $39.7 Million for Dust Explosion Survivor: Our refinery accident attorneys recovered a record-setting verdict of $39.7 million on behalf of a worker who was severely burned in a dust fire and explosion at a Georgia-Pacific plywood plant. Arnold & Itkin LLP was able to help our client recover his medical expenses, loss of earning capacity, disfigurement, and mental anguish.
- $7 Million for Injured Burn Victim: Arnold & Itkin LLP represented a Louisiana oil refinery worker who suffered brain damage and memory loss after he fell through the grating on an offshore platform. Our attorneys were able to recover $4 million for the client and $2.5 million for his future medical needs.
Contact a LyondellBasell Lawsuit Lawyer Today: (888) 493-1629
At Arnold & Itkin LLP, we have helped hundreds of plant and refinery workers get the compensation they needed to take care of themselves and their families after refinery accidents. It can be costly to treat physical and mental injuries after such tragic events, which is why we do everything we can to help our clients secure their future and receive the best medical care possible.
If you or a loved one were injured during a refinery accident, contact our LyondellBasell accident lawyers today for a free consultation—call (888) 493-1629 or contact us online today.
Arnold & Itkin in the News
- Workers Injured in Chemical Plant Explosion Obtain $30 Million Verdicts In Two Louisiana State Court Trials Against Plant Owners/Operators
- CSB: ‘Process safety management program deficiencies’ lead to deadly 2013 explosion
- New Orleans Jury Awards $16M to 4 Workers for 2013 Plant Explosion
- ComDust victim awarded $39.7 million
- Houston jury awards $39.7 million verdict to man injured in Corrigan plant explosion
- Williams Cos. Hit With $13.6M Verdict In La. Plant Explosion