Corpus Christi Plant & Refinery Accident Lawyers
When Refinery Workers Suffer, Our Team Demands the Answers They Need
Plant and refinery accidents tend to make headlines. When they happen, they are often destructive and dangerous to the people in around them. When plant and refinery accidents make headlines, workers and their families are often left wondering what they should do next. The effects of accidents stay with victims and survivors longer than the news cycle covers them, and they deserve help rebuilding what was destroyed.
Refineries located in Corpus Christi include:
- Valero Bill Greehey Refinery
- CITGO Corpus Christi Refinery
- Flint Hills Resource Corpus Christi West Refinery
- Flint Hills Resource Corpus Christi East Refinery
- Magellan Corpus Christi Refinery
- Buckeye Corpus Christi Refinery
At Arnold & Itkin LLP, our team of Corpus Christi plant and refinery accident lawyersremain dedicated to workers long after the headlines stop talking about them. Our mission is to demand answers, obtain justice, and secure the compensation that people deserve after having their lives turned upside down by negligence. Our dedication to results has resulted in billions of dollars recovered for clients. We’ve taken on the largest energy companies in the world, and we’ve won results facing them by never backing down from a fight. Call us today for help from a team known for fighting, no matter what.
Our Corpus Christi refinery accident attorneys are standing by to provide a free and confidential consultation right now. Contact us at (888) 493-1629 to find out more about how we can help.
Plant & Refinery Accident Lawyers Serving Corpus Christi
Refineries are one of the most important parts of Corpus Christi’s economy. As a major crude oil refinery hub, the Port of Corpus Christi is the location of six refineries.
Corpus Christi plants and refineries produce products such as:
- Crude oil
- Fuel oil
- Jet fuel
- And more
Refinery accidents are notable because they are usually very destructive and cause significant harm to workers. Whether an explosion causes serious injuries or toxic exposure triggers health complications for workers, they are entitled to protection from these incidents.
Common Corpus Christi refinery accidents include:
- Turnaround accidents
- Toxic exposure
- Mechanical malfunctions
Besides being the right thing to do, preventing these accidents is a legal requirement for owners and operators of plants and refineries. In the 1970s, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) was created to help stop worker deaths in the United States. While OSHA has helped make workplaces significantly safer, it can’t keep up with conditions across the millions of different American worksites. When companies fail to do the right thing on their own, they should be held accountable for failing to respect workers and the laws that were designed to save their lives.
Injuries Caused by Corpus Christi Plant & Refinery Accidents
Injuries caused by plant accidents are notable because they’re completely preventable, often serious, and have the potential to change the rest of a worker’s life. Safety must be paramount during the operations of a plant or refinery. Volatile substances, dangerous equipment, and dozens of workers on site at any given time make these locations especially prone to injury-causing incidents.
Common plant and refinery accident injuries include:
- Burn injuries
- Blunt force trauma
- Crush injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Vision loss
- Acoustic trauma
- And more
Besides being an excruciating experience, the repercussions of these injuries last for years if not a lifetime. Workers often lose money to medical care, suffer from lost wages, and find it difficult to get back to work because of the lasting issues caused by injuries. Since accidents are usually the result of negligence, those who cause them should be held accountable for helping those suffering from them.
Serious Texas Plant & Refinery Accidents
Texas’ history is dotted with significant plant and refinery accidents. In fact, the worst industrial accident in the nation’s history occurred in 1947 at Galveston Bay. On April 26, a ship carrying ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive substance, exploded in the harbor. What resulted was one of history’s largest non-nuclear explosions. The incident killed between 400 and 600 people and injured up to 4,000 more.
Despite this historic accident, the follow decades found many more Texas plants and refineries having significant and preventable accidents.
Some of the most notable recent Texas plant and refinery accidents include:
- Phillips Petroleum Company Plant: In October of 1989, a series of explosions were triggered by an ethylene leak at the Phillips petroleum Company in Pasadena, TX. The leak was caused by an improperly turned valve that caused 85,000 pounds of gas to fill the plant. The resulting explosion had the power of two-and-a-half tons of dynamite and killed 23 people. No gas detectors or warning systems were installed to protect workers.
- BP Texas City Refinery: In 2005, Texas City had its second major industrial accident. Pipes at the aging Texas City Refinery leaked a hydrocarbon vapor cloud. The massive explosion it triggered killed 15 workers and injured 170 more. Notably, refinery managers and owners neglected to update the aging plant despite multiple warnings. Our Corpus Christi refinery accident lawyers represented several of the workers injured in this explosion.
- West Fertilizer Company: In April of 2013, an explosion rocked a fertilizer storage and distribution center in West, TX. The incident injured over 250 people and killed 15 others. The blast was triggered by the ignition of ammonium nitrate, the same substance that caused the Texas City Disaster in 1947. While investigators said the fire was deliberately set, many disagree with this finding and claim that this conclusion was only reached after they couldn’t find the source of the explosion’s ignition.
- Corpus Christi Dredge Accident: On August 21, 2020, a dredging vessel managed to hit a pipeline in the Corpus Christi refinery district. The accident killed four workers and sent six others to the hospital. Initial reports indicate that the pipeline was not clearly marked and that there was inadequate planning that would have prevented the dredge from contacting the pipe.
- Corpus Christi Magellan Fire: On the morning of December 5, 2020, a fire broke out in a tank at the Magellan petroleum storage facility in Corpus Christi. The incident occurred as contractors worked to clean a 1,300-barrel tank. The incident sent seven people to the hospital, with four of them sustaining critical injuries. At least one of the injured individuals required treatment at a San Antonio burn unit.
Corpus Christi Plant & Refinery Accident FAQ
What Is the Cause of Plant & Refinery Accidents?
Every plant and refinery accident is different. However, they always involve one critical factor: negligence. Ultimately, companies are responsible for making sure workers aren’t injured or killed. When an accident happens, it’s almost always because companies cut corners with safety and failed to prevent them.
What Can I Recover with the Help of a Corpus Christi Plant & Refinery Accident Lawyer?
A lawyer will be focused on working to help you recover as much as possible after a plant or refinery accident. They’ll investigate what happened and work out how much money you’ll need to cover the costs of past, present, and future care. They’ll also work to help you receive compensation for things such as lost wages, lost earning capacity, and pain and suffering. While nothing guarantees a result, having the help of a lawyer means having an advocate who is fighting to hold the parties who harmed you accountable.
How Much Is Hiring a Corpus Christi Plant & Refinery Accident Attorney?
Turning to our team comes with no financial risk to you. We work on something called a contingency fee. This means we cover all costs of a case—from court fees to investigative costs—to make sure you have no financial pressure as we work toward results. We’ll only collect a fee if we win your case. Working this way shows we’re committed to the best results and making our services available to clients from all economic backgrounds.
Call Our Corpus Christi Plant & Refinery Accident Firm Now for Help at (888) 493-1629
When you call Arnold & Itkin LLP, you aren’t just calling another Texas personal injury firm. Instead, you’re calling the team that injured workers have turned to over and over for the results they need. We’ve secured billions of dollars for our clients and have earned many landmark results against plant and refinery owners. We know the difficulties you’re facing, we know you need a strong advocate, and we’re ready to be the difference makers you deserve.
When you call us, you’re turning to a firm that never settles for less. While we can’t guarantee results, we can promise that we’ll be ready every step of the way. When the other side lies, we’ll conduct a thorough investigation. If the other side isn’t fair, we won’t back down from accountability. And if the other side tries to intimidate you, we’ll draw a line in the sand. Call us today to find out how we can help.
We’re standing by to talk right now at (888) 493-1629. Finding out if we can help is free from obligation and is always confidential.