Citgo Refinery Accident Attorneys
Helping Injured Refinery Workers Nationwide. Billions Won for Our Clients.
Citgo is one of the largest refineries nationwide, with a refining capacity of over 759,000 barrels per day. Their refineries produce 117 million barrels of gasoline and 25 million barrels of jet fuel annually. In 2015, a man fell while working about 120 feet up on the gasoline-producing 69,000-barrel-per-day Fluidic Catalytic Cracking Unit at the Citgo located in Corpus Christi, Texas. As a result, the worker died. Although Citgo didn’t provide details about the caused the death of the employee, there are various ways the company could have prevented this incident. Incidents like this happen all the time in industrial workplaces—but they don't have to.
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Citgo was cited for five safety violations in 2012 alone. OSHA stated that Citgo failed to have the proper safeguards in place to protect employees from the release of toxic chemicals—placing workers and surrounding communities in danger. Serious accidents occur where there is substantial risk of death or serious injury. When those accidents result from a preventable hazard that the employer should have solved long before an accident took place, workers need to stand up for themselves. If an employer is not held accountable, it only leads to further fatal injuries—just like it did in the 2015 incident. That's what our Citgo refinery accident lawyers do: help workers use their voices and rebuild their lives.
If you or a loved one were injured in a Citgo accident, Arnold & Itkin can help. We refuse to let companies neglect their duty to their workers. Learn more by calling a Citgo lawsuit attorney at our firm at (888) 493-1629 or contact us online.
Locations of Citgo Refineries Nationwide
- Citgo Corpus Christi Refinery (Texas)
- Citgo Lake Charles Manufacturing Complex (Louisiana)
- Citgo Lemont Refinery (Illinois)
No matter where your accident or injury occurred, a Citgo claim lawyer at Arnold & Itkin may be able to assist you. We represent workers across the U.S. and have secured record results in numerous states.
2009 Citgo Refinery Hydrofluoric Acid Leak & Fire
In December 2009, a fire in the alkylation unit at Citgo’s Corpus Christi refinery led to a release of hydrofluoric acid. The incident occurred when violent shaking in the process recycle piping broke two threaded connections, releasing flammable hydrocarbons. As a result, one worker was critically burned, and another worker was treated for possible HF exposure during emergency response activates. The sudden failure of a control valve that could have been prevented with the proper backup system and training management.
Our Refinery Accident Attorneys Fight for Life-Changing Compensation
Arnold & Itkin is familiar representing clients against the largest companies nationwide. Regardless of the complexity of your case, our refinery accident attorneys will work hard to deliver you the best possible outcome for your case. We have helped hundreds of workers receive the compensation they deserve for their losses.
Our Citgo lawsuit lawyers have helped injured workers nationwide, including the following:
- $97 Million Secured for Victims of a Refinery Fire: Our firm was able to secure a huge settlement for clients who were injured in a refinery fire. Arnold & Itkin attorneys fought for justice against some of the largest corporations in the world. This settlement helped our clients receive the medical attention need and financial security for their future.
- $39.7 Million Received for an Dust Explosion Survivor: Our refinery accident attorneys recovered a record-setting verdict of $39.7 million on behalf of a worker who was severely burned in a dust fire and explosion at a Georgia-Pacific plywood plant in Carrigan, TX. Arnold & Itkin LLP was able to prove that the client was innocent and help the client be compensated for medical expenses, loss of earning capacity, disfigurement, mental anguish, amongst more.
- $12 Million Received for Severely Burned Plant Worker: Our refinery accident attorneys recovered $12 million on behalf of a plant worker who suffered burns when a safety valve failed at the refinery he was working at. Arnold & Itkin helped this client receive the compensation they deserved to move on from this tragic incident.
Citgo Refinery Accident FAQ
What types of accidents might happen at a Citgo refinery?
Refineries are dangerous places, with heavy machinery and complex equipment that must be used properly to avoid serious accidents. Add to that the fact that you’re dealing with tens or hundreds of thousands of gallons of highly combustible substances, and you have a recipe for disaster—if proper safety standards are not followed.
Explosions, fires, equipment malfunction, chemical exposure, falls, and heavy machinery accidents are all examples of incidents that may occur at a Citgo refinery, or any industrial worksite. When workers are injured in refinery accidents, they have the right to seek financial compensation for their medical treatment, ongoing care, lost income, and possibly much more. That's where a Citgo claim lawyer can make all the difference.
What should I do if I was injured while working at a Citgo refinery?
If you were injured at a Citgo refinery, make sure you get the medical care you need, inform your employer, and talk to an attorney. Your health comes first, so be sure to see a doctor and follow his or her orders so you can start to heal. Under workers’ compensation laws, you also need to tell your employer that you were injured—or you could lose your right to benefits. You should also talk to an attorney who can help ensure you are fairly compensated for what you have experienced and may endure in the future as a result of your accident. In addition to workers’ comp, you could have a personal injury claim.
Should I accept the insurance company’s offer?
If the insurance company is already involved and has made you an offer, don’t accept it or sign anything until you’ve talked to your lawyer. At first glance, the settlement may seem adequate or even generous, but you need to remember that insurance companies are for-profit organizations that are typically more interested in protecting their bottom line than paying out fair claims. Your settlement should include every single expense, loss, and injury you have experienced as a result of your Citgo refinery accident. A lawyer who has experience with these cases can review the settlement offer and offer insight as to whether it’s appropriate and just. If it’s not, your lawyer can pursue the fair settlement you deserve.
Contact Our Citgo Refinery Accident Attorneys for a Free Consultation
Knowing what the next steps are after a work injury can be overwhelming. That's why our Citgo refinery accident attorneys share their vast knowledge and experience to help you understand your options and get what you need. At Arnold & Itkin, our attorneys work tirelessly to help you and your family get the best possible outcome.
Contact a Citgo lawsuit attorney by calling (888) 493-1629 or using our online form. Your consultation is free!
Arnold & Itkin in the News
- Workers Injured in Chemical Plant Explosion Obtain $30 Million Verdicts In Two Louisiana State Court Trials Against Plant Owners/Operators
- CSB: 'Process safety management program deficiencies' lead to deadly 2013 explosion
- New Orleans Jury Awards $16M to 4 Workers for 2013 Plant Explosion
- ComDust victim awarded $39.7 million
- Houston jury awards $39.7 million verdict to man injured in Corrigan plant explosion
- Williams Cos. Hit With $13.6M Verdict In La. Plant Explosion