A large natural gas fire near Klein has injured at least five workers from CenterPoint. The blaze occurred on the 18700 block of Gleannloch Lakes Boulevard at approximately 6 p.m. on Friday evening. Each of the injured workers was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
A tweet from the Harris County Fire Marshall indicated that at least three workers were transported by ground, one refused transport, and one more was taken via life flight with serious injuries. That person is in critical condition.
What Happened During the Klein Gas Fire?
According to reports, Comcast crews were working in the area when they accidentally punctured a gas line. Crews from CenterPoint Energy were sent to fix the ruptured line. As they were working, they struck a second 6-inch natural gas line—a mainline that operates under high pressure.
Responders created a 500-foot perimeter around the ruptured line and evacuated all nearby residents. The blaze caused damage to the exterior of one home. It also knocked out power and gas in the area. Power was restored to the area by Saturday morning.
Close to midnight, authorities reported that they had successfully been able to put out the fire and nearby residents were allowed to get back into their homes. Crews from CenterPoint Energy were still working to restore gas service as of 8 a.m. Saturday.
All residents who had their natural gas service disrupted are being asked to avoid turning on any valves or tampering with their natural gas meter. Doing so might introduce air into gas lines and could slow down the repair process.
Our natural gas explosion lawyers will continue to follow updates to this story as they’re released by officials.