What Are Recreational Event Accidents?
When families and other groups of people attend a game, concert, or other event held at a venue, they are putting their trust into the owners of the facility to have it properly maintained and safe guarded. However, this isn't always the case, and individuals can often suffer any number of accidents from serious injury to death.
In fact, there have been many accidents in the United States alone in which a fan or group of fans was injured due to the negligence of ballpark, stadium, and other venue owners. A few recent examples include:
- July 3, 2014; Dallas, Texas – One person was killed and three others severely injured during a fireworks accident.
- July 1, 2014; Cedar Rapids, Iowa – Four fans are injured when a thunderstorm blew over a large tarp into the crowd during a minor league baseball game.
- June 29, 2014; Miami, Florida – A woman in the stands is injured when a foul ball was hit into the stands.
- April 3, 2014; Minneapolis, Minnesota – A construction worker was killed during construction of St. Paul's Stadium when a section of concrete collapsed onto the cab of a backhoe he was operating.
- June 11, 2013; Santa Clara, California – An elevator mechanic is killed during construction of the 49ers stadium when he was hit by an elevator counterweight.
- September 9, 2012; Houston, Texas – Two fans were injured when a panel from the stadium's LED display board was jarred loose and fell into the stands.
- July 9, 2011; Arlington, Texas – A fan is killed when diving for a baseball tossed into the stands by an outfielder.
- December 2011; Los Angeles, California – Two Dodgers fans severely beat a man supporting the visiting team to the point where he needs round the clock care.
Other Types Of Recreational Event Accidents
There are many other public venues aside from ballparks and stadiums in which individuals can sustain injuries including airports, bus and train stations, ports, amusement parks, casinos, and many others. A few of the injuries that can result from poor safety standards include:
- Broken bones
- Heat stroke
- Crush injuries
- Stampedes or any form of poor crowd control
- Slips and falls
Recreational Event Accident Lawyer
When you or someone you loved is injured in a recreational event accident, there is a limited time to act. If you were an attendee of a recreational event when you were injured, you may have rights and claims against various entities. For a free consultation to discuss your case, contact Arnold & Itkin LLP to learn all of your options.