El Paso Plant & Refinery Accident Lawyers
Fighting for Workers Injured in El Paso Plant Explosions, Fires & More
Plant and refinery accidents can cause devastating injuries to on-site workers as well as nearby residences. Unfortunately, most refinery and plant accidents could have been prevented with the proper care, equipment, and employer supervision. Too often, these accidents occur because owners or managers failed to take the necessary steps to protect their workers. In some occasions, workers are tasked to work on projects without the proper resources and equipment—resulting in severe on-the-job injuries and even death.
If you are employed at a production plant or oil refinery, you know how dangerous your job can be. In a hazardous work environment, it is vital to have the best equipment, effective safety policies, and well-trained workers to prevent accidents. Yet, more often than not, these practices are not present, causing workers to suffer catastrophic injuries. Our El Paso refinery accident attorneys won't stand by while it happens again and again. We are proud to advocate for injured refinery workers and we refuse to let companies neglect their duty to their workers.
It is critical that you have your case reviewed by a lawyer you can trust. At Arnold & Itkin, our El Paso plant accident attorneys represent clients in West Texas and nationwide. Contact us today at (888) 493-1629.
Plants & Refineries in El Paso, TX
El Paso is home to a number of industrial worksites, including refineries and plants. These include:
- Andeavor El Paso Refinery
- Western Refining North Plant
- Western Refining Wholesale
- Western Refining Logistics
Texas’ Most Tragic Plant Explosions
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Texas had the largest number of oil and gas industry fatal injuries than any other state between 2007-2011.
Some of the most tragic plant explosions in Texas include:
BP Texas City Refinery (March 2005)
The pipes at the Texas City refinery had been worn too thin and were leaking fumes. As a result, the fumes led to a massive explosion triggered by the ignition of a hydrocarbon vapor cloud. The owners and managers failed to keep the work environment safe, and 170 workers were severely injured and 15 were killed as a result. Our El Paso refinery accident lawyers represented several of those injured in the blast.
West Fertilizer Company Explosion (April 2013)
An explosion occurred at a storage and distribution center in West, TX. The incident injured more than 250 people and killed 15 others. It was discovered that the explosion occurred deliberately.
2017 Explosion at Western Refining El Paso, Texas
Accidents still continue to happen in refineries nationwide—even in El Paso, Texas. In 2017, several incidents were reported at Western Refining, including a fire and chemical leak. Not only does an incident like this put the on-site workers in danger, but it also affects nearby residents. It was later discovered that about 2,057 pounds of sulfur dioxide leaking into the air. Inhaling high levels of sulfur can result in swollen lungs and difficulty breathing. Skin contact with sulfur dioxide can also cause irritation and burn injuries.
Common Types of Plant & Refinery Accidents
Plants and refineries are some of the most dangerous places to work because of all the hazardous material that can cause various accidents. Workers can be exposed to different dangers depending on the type of plant they work for. Below are some of the most common types of accidents that occur in refineries.
- Oil Refinery Accidents – Oil refineries use complex equipment and technology to refine oil into other products. Through this industrial process, heating is used to refine the crude oil, which often causes accidents. Accidents typically occur from the refining process overheating or by defective equipment.
- Plant & Refinery explosions – Refineries are dangerous in part due to highly flammable materials all over the plant. If workers do not follow the proper safety procedures to handle and store these materials, then a major explosion is inevitable. Employers can prevent explosions from happening by properly training their teams on safety protocols and replacing outdated equipment.
- Chemical Fires – Along with explosions, fires can also occur at a chemical plant or refinery. Since refineries contain highly flammable materials, fires can erupt if not handled with precaution.
Arnold & Itkin in the News
- Workers Injured in Chemical Plant Explosion Obtain $30 Million Verdicts In Two Louisiana State Court Trials Against Plant Owners/Operators
- CSB: 'Process safety management program deficiencies' lead to deadly 2013 explosion
- New Orleans Jury Awards $16M to 4 Workers for 2013 Plant Explosion
- ComDust victim awarded $39.7 million
- Houston jury awards $39.7 million verdict to man injured in Corrigan plant explosion
- Williams Cos. Hit With $13.6M Verdict In La. Plant Explosion
Our El Paso Refinery & Plant Accident Lawyers Have Won Billions
Our passion for helping the injured, along with our vast experience in refinery cases has allowed our El Paso plant accident attorneys to win billions of dollars over the years for our clients. We have record-setting verdicts that have allowed our clients to receive the compensation they need to recover and secure their future.
Some examples of refinery cases we have won include:
- $97 Million for Workers Caught in a Refinery Fire: Our firm was able to secure a huge settlement for clients who were injured in a refinery fire. Arnold & Itkin attorneys fought for justice against some of the largest corporations in the world. This settlement helped our clients receive the medical attention need and financial security for their future.
- $12 Million Received for Burn Injuries Suffered Due to a Failed Safety Valve: Our El Paso refinery accident attorneys recovered $12 million on behalf of a plant worker who suffered burns when a safety valve failed at the refinery he was working at. Arnold & Itkin helped this client receive the compensation they deserved to move on from this tragic incident.
Contact Our El Paso Refinery Accident Lawyers: (888) 493-1629
Employers and supervisors are required by law to keep their workers safe while conducting dangerous work. Unfortunately, most employers wait until there's a crisis or someone gets hurt before they do something about aging equipment, poor training, or dangerous conditions. Why? Because it's cheaper to run a refinery that way. To the company executives, workers who get injured in an explosion are just part of the business equation.
At Arnold & Itkin LLP, we are here to advocate for you and help you answer your questions. In this overwhelming time, we want to help you find justice and protect your best interest. Don’t let the parties responsible get away with what happened. You deserve a future that is secure and can help you take care of yourself and your loved ones. Our El Paso plant accident attorneys can help you fight for your rights. Contact us today and we will walk you through every step.
Call (888) 493-1629 to schedule a free consultation. An El Paso personal injury attorney can travel to you to review your options and get you much-needed help and relief.