Houston Uber & Lyft Accident Attorneys
Involved in an Uber or Lyft Accident? Talk with Our Dedicated Rideshare Accident Lawyers!
The trend of ridesharing has become more and more popular in recent years; however, it brings many new legal complications and questions with it. Who is responsible if a rideshare driver is involved in an accident? Will they or their company pay for damages and injuries? While this is still a very new terrain to navigate, Arnold & Itkin provides comprehensive representation for those involved in Uber and Lyft accidents. Our car accident lawyers have represented countless injury victims and can utilize the insight and skill gained from these cases to benefit yours.
What Uniquely Qualifies Us to Handle Your Uber / Lyft Accident?
- We’ve recovered billions of dollars on behalf of our clients.
- Our team has won record-setting verdicts.
- We make sure we win your case—or you don’t pay a single fee.
- We’ve been named to the “Top 40 Under 50” by the National Trial Lawyers Association
- Our attorneys have been recognized in Super Lawyers®
Have questions about your Uber or Lyft accident? Reach out to our firm for trusted counsel.
Why Is an Uber or Lyft Accident Different?
When you are involved in a rideshare accident, it is crucial to understand that it is different than a typical car accident. Uber, in particular, is a good example. They do not consider their drivers to be employees, but independent contractors, and may be quicker to deny injury claims because of this. Further, both Uber and Lyft use applications that can take a driver's attention off the road. This often means these accidents can be the fault of the drivers. Nearly anyone can become an Uber or Lyft driver, so long as they have personal auto insurance, a license, and meet a few other requirements. Many of these drivers do not have any training or experience with transporting clients, making it dangerous for them to be on the road all day long. With an increased chance for accidents, it is crucial these companies take extra precautions to insure their drivers.
Don't wait to get legal guidance for your Uber / Lyft accident. Call the injury attorneys at Arnold & Itkin today at (888) 493-1629.
do ridesharing services have insurance coverage?
Both Uber and Lyft insure their drivers only under certain conditions. Whether or not Uber or Lyft insures their drivers depends on whether there was a passenger in the vehicle at the time of the accident or if the driver was on the way to pick up a passenger. For both companies, the coverage for their drivers is much lower when they are not matched with a passenger; even then, Uber or Lyft will only cover their driver if their private insurance is even lower than the company's policy.
uber insurance coverage for accidents
Uber provides the following breakdown of their insurance policy:
- The Uber app is off: Only the driver's private insurance will apply to the accident.
- The app is on and the driver is "available": A driver's insurance and Uber's contingent liability coverage can be accessed, including up to $100,000 for injuries ($50,000 per person) and $25,000 for property damage.
- The driver is picking up a passenger or dropping them off: Uber's commercial insurance coverage applies, which includes up to $1 million per accident for property damage and bodily injury, and another $1 million if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured.
lyft insurance coverage for accidents
Lyft has very similar insurance policies, enforcing different coverage for when a driver's app is off, when they are driving a customer, and when they are in between trips.
Lyft's accident insurance coverage includes:
- The Lyft app is off: Only the driver's private insurance will apply to the accident.
- The Lyft driver is waiting for a match: Only the driver's private insurance will apply to the accident; if their insurance company refuses to cover it, Lyft's policy ($50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident, $25,000 for property damage) will apply.
- The driver is picking up a rider or dropping them off: Lyft's $1 million policy will apply to the accident.
If you are involved in an accident with an Uber or Lyft driver while they have a client in the car, you can receive compensation from both their personal auto insurance and the rideshare company. It certainly gets more complicated and challenging when that driver is in between trips, waiting for a passenger to match with, or "off-the-clock" after a full day of driving.
At this point, you may be wondering how even to file a claim. When you have our legal team on your side, we will help you swiftly maneuver through all the complexities of rideshare accidents.
what could I claim in an uber/lyft injury lawsuit?
When Uber and Lyft were created, both companies promised to reduce traffic and make our streets safer. Years later, there are even more cars on the road, and the vetting process used by both companies has come under fire by critics. That's why it's important to hold both companies accountable for the harm they cause to our clients. Not only do our clients need the financial support to recover, but the companies ought to be held accountable to prevent accidents from occurring in the future.
Legal damages for an Uber or Lyft accident include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost earnings
- Disability and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
The right thing for these companies to do is to provide in full for every accident caused by one of their drivers, but companies don't do the right thing unless you make them. Our firm has won billions of dollars in verdicts and settlements because we understand that.
Don't Delay Your Claim! Call Our Firm Now: (888) 493-1629
We understand that car accident claims can be extremely confusing, especially in newer situations involving rideshare vehicles. Arnold & Itkin has a firm grasp on the insurance policies and coverage involved in these accidents and can provide the support you need to resolve your case favorably. Whether you need to file a claim with the right parties or have been denied compensation for your injuries, our car accident lawyers are ready to step in on your behalf.
Let our award-winning legal team help with your claim! Contact us today or fill out a free case evaluation.
"I would probably be working on somebody’s job in the condition that I’m in if it wouldn’t have been for Arnold & Itkin. You can go on their website and read about all the cases that they have won and the amounts that they have won for the people. They really weren’t afraid to take them on. I think that’s why they had the outcome that they had. They really weren’t afraid. They told us they were going to take them on. They did!"- Raquel L.