What Should I Expect from My Attorney?
If you or a loved one has been hurt in an on-the-job accident, it is likely you have many questions.
- How will I pay my bills?
- Who will take care of my injuries?
- How will I support my family if I cannot go back to work?
Hiring the best attorney to represent your interests is extremely important. You need an attorney with a track record of winning to ensure you will have answers to your questions and guidance. At Arnold & Itkin, we have represented thousands of individuals who have been severely injured either on the job, in a catastrophic accident, or due to the use of a dangerous product or device. As a result, we recognize what is essential to our clients, what questions they typically have, and how to best protect their interests before, during, and after their lawsuit.
Below, we provide a series of questions you should ask an attorney before deciding who to hire.
- Why do I need an attorney? When an employee is injured, company management has a team of lawyers and adjusters on the scene within hours. Your employer is not looking to protect you; it wants to limit its monetary exposure to the fullest extent, regardless of the seriousness of your injury. You need an attorney who can walk you through each step of your case, investigate the cause, ensure you are receiving proper medical care, and develop your case to maximize your chances of winning.
- What if my company offers me a settlement or promises to take care of me? The attorneys at Arnold & Itkin have met many clients whose employers promised they would never lose their job or that they would "be taken care of," only to realize those promises were meaningless. If the responsible party will not sign a written guarantee that it will pay all your medical bills and lost wages for as long as it takes, then you know the responsible company is not looking out for your interests. If your employer is trying to get you to accept a cash settlement, contact one of our attorneys for a free and confidential consultation before negotiating with them. The insurance company is using professional negotiators, shouldn't you? We are happy to provide a free consultation about any settlement offer. We will explain the risks and benefits of any offer or agreement.
- Do I have to see the company's doctor? The answer is NO. If you are injured, your physician's primary goal should be your recovery, not limiting the company's potential monetary exposure. We can help our clients determine who the most respected medical specialists are, and in many instances we make sure that the company covers the cost of seeing these doctors. Following a catastrophic injury your focus must be on your health and your family, not on seeing a doctor whose real loyalty is to the company.
- If I do bring a case, what will I need to do next? If you hire a reliable lawyer, all you should have to worry about is getting better. At Arnold & Itkin LLP, our lawyers handle everything, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries. We will handle calls from your employer, visits with insurance representatives, and even help schedule medical appointments if you are having difficulties. We take care of every detail so you can focus on your recovery. The only steps you may need to take are to speak at a deposition in your attorney's conference room and, if your case does go to trial, testifying in court may be necessary.
- How long do most cases take to resolve? The average case takes about 12 to 18 months. At our firm, we begin working on your case as soon as you hire us. There is no waiting period. We have a reputation for prosecuting cases quickly and aggressively to trial. We prepare each case from the outset as if it were destined for trial so that we are in the best position to win.
- What should I know about an attorney before I choose representation? We are aggressive trial lawyers who know how to fight large corporations. We enjoy trial while most attorneys fear it. We have received numerous successful jury verdicts in addition to substantial settlements for our clients. Before hiring any attorney to represent your personal injury case, we always suggest you ask about his or her trial record. Ask specific questions such as: What was the last case you personally tried? What was the result? What were the difficulties you overcame in that case? What did you do to maximize the chances of recovery prior to trial? How many cases have you tried in the last five years? How many multi-million dollar verdicts have you personally won? A large company such as your employer will be a lot more likely to offer the type of compensation you deserve if they know that your attorney is ready to go to trial should their offer not seem reasonable. If the attorney you are considering does not have a strong trial record, or does not have experience in your type of case, contact an experienced attorney from our firm for a free conversation about your case. We can answer any questions you may have and see which of our experienced lawyers would be the best fit for your case.
- Do I have to hire a lawyer from my state? No. A case can have multiple proper venues—it can be brought where the accident occurred, where the defendant is located or in some instances where the defendant conducts its business. The most important fact to consider when choosing your attorney is the experience he or she has and what his or her success rate is, not where he or she is located. While based in Houston, we try cases all over the country and are sent more than 100 referrals each year from out-of-state attorneys because they know we get clients the results they deserve. If you are unsure whether we can represent your claim because of your location, fill out our quick online questionnaire and a representative from our office will be in touch with you to schedule your free consultation. While we are licensed in the State of Texas, we work with local counsel in almost every state in the country. We may be able to assist you regardless of where your accident occurred or where you currently live.
- How much will my case be worth? There is no one answer to that question. We consider each client's case to be unique. We will examine many factors before estimating case value. We will look at your medical bills related to the injury, your wage history, and the facts surrounding your accident. Many times we will hire experts to help us determine your future medical bills, wage loss pain, and mental anguish. Keep in mind, though, that if your case is not properly developed from the beginning, you will not receive the compensation you deserve. If you have questions about how much your case may be worth, contact us for a free consultation.
- Should I settle my case or go to trial? That decision will ultimately lie with you, but an experienced attorney will give you the guidance that you need along the way. We are always prepared to go to trial to secure the compensation our clients deserve. That being said, the vast majority of cases are resolved prior to trial through settlement. We work with each of our clients to insure they can make an informed decision when the time comes and they are presented with a reasonable offer. When you sustain an injury on the job, you and your family will undoubtedly have many things to worry about. At Arnold & Itkin, our experienced personal injury attorneys believe that working with your lawyer shouldn't be another headache. We are ready to talk to you, free and confidentially, to help you understand your case and explain you how we can help you receive compensation.
Contact a Houston injury attorney from our firm today so you can start your recovery. We're standing by to help during a free consultation when you call (888) 493-1629.