Disability Policy Underwriters at Humana Inc.
Time to Take Legal Action? Our Insurance Lawyers Can Help.
Health insurance companies like Humana Inc. provide coverage for life’s unexpected accidents. Insurance can cover a broad range of medical issues. Disability insurance can also play a significant role in helping a family stay afloat when the provider can no longer work due to a serious injury or illness. However, the process of obtaining benefits from an insurance company is not always so simple.
Like many providers, Humana does not have a clean rap sheet. The company has been in the news frequently for a variety of issues, including claims that it overcharged for its Medicare Advantage program, failed to provide accurate beneficiary information, and improperly collected refunds from healthcare providers. Humana was even ordered to pay more than $1 million for violating the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Has your claim been denied or mishandled by Humana Inc.? Call our insurance claims attorneys at (888) 493-1629.
Why Trust Your Case to Us?
- Billions of dollars recovered for our clients
- Award-winning, record-breaking legal representation
- Respect from judges, peers, and professionals
- Dedicated to your best interests at every step
Growing from Nursing Homes to Insurance Coverage
While Humana currently has more than 13 million customers and yearly revenue of around $41 billion, it started with a much smaller scope in mind. Back in the early 1960s, the company began as a nursing home company. In the 1970s, it moved into for-profit hospitals and managed care plans, changing its name from Extendicare to Humana. After the for-profit hospital market began to suffer, the company decided to develop its health insurance plans and created a network of doctors to bring patients in. By 1993, the health insurance industry was going so well the company decided to separate its hospitals into another company, which later merged with Columbia Hospital Corp. and subsequently Hospital Corporation of America. It was not always this booming for the growing insurance company, however.
Legal Troubles for Humana
- In 1994, Humana agreed to pay Florida members a settlement of $6.25 million in response to claims that it required them to pay more for their hospital bills than required under their policies.
- In 1996, a physician testified before Congress that the company frequently refused to authorize expensive treatments to the point where a young man even died from being denied a heart transplant.
- In 2000, Humana settled a case with the Texas Medical Association due to allegations that it had violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by denying people with chronic illnesses the treatment needed.
- In 2013, Humana was fined by the Kentucky Department of Insurance for sending policyholders misleading letters about amending their health coverage.
Although Humana has grown into one of the largest health coverage providers in the country, it has frequently dealt with litigation with policyholders, regulatory issues with the government, and even legal disputes with the U.S. Department of Labor.
Get Legal Representation for Your Bad Faith Insurance Case
Insurance companies are expected to act in a certain manner and treat their policyholders fairly. When they fail to honor a claim under their policy terms, deny payment, or attempt to delay or underpay a claim, it can be a serious legal violation. If you have endured such treatment from Humana, reach out to our team. Our Houston insurance lawyers have taken on major insurance companies over the years and are ready to help.
Schedule a free consultation with us today by calling (888) 493-1629 or filling out a free case evaluation.