New Mexico Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, Serving Clients Nationwide
Many are attracted to the sense of freedom offered by motorcycles. With just two wheels separating riders from the road, motorcycles have attracted legions of fans. Unfortunately, the very things that many love about motorcycles are also the same qualities that can cause great harm. Their vehicles do not have the same safety features enjoyed by those who drive large automobiles and trucks. With no safety restraints or enclosures, motorcyclists may suffer severe injuries during even the most minor of accidents.
If you have been injured in an accident, call the New Mexico motorcycle accident attorneys at Arnold & Itkin today at (888) 493-1629. Your consultation is free!
Motorcycle Accident Statistics & Info
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) collects data that explores the risks motorcyclists face on the road. By collecting this, the NHTSA hopes to increase awareness surrounding motorcycle accidents.
2016 data collected by the NHTSA reveals the following:
- 5,268 riders lost their lives
- 14% of all accident fatalities are motorcyclists, while only 3% of all registered vehicles are motorcycles
- Motorcyclists account for 0.6% of total traveled miles but are 6 times more likely to be in an accident
These statistics reveal that, though motorcycles account for an extreme minority of vehicles on the road, they are involved in a disproportionately high amount of motor vehicle accidents.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents in New Mexico
Riders in Albuquerque and across New Mexico are at an increased risk of injury in traffic accidents. They are also more prone to being involved in specific types of collisions.
The following are types of motorcycle crashes, and their potential causes:
- Left Turn Accidents—When motorists are yielding to make a left turn, they may fail to notice approaching motorcycles or misjudge the speed at which they are traveling. When a larger vehicle turns in front of a motorcycle, the impact is devastating for the motorcyclist.
- Blind Spots—Motorcycles are small and easily hide in the blind spots of cars. When a driver is not observant, they may attempt a maneuver that places a motorcyclist they do not see at risk of collision.
- Land Splitting—Though lane splitting has not been made legal in New Mexico, some motorcyclists still practice it. Drivers should look for lane-splitting motorcyclists, whether it is legal or not.
- Road Hazards—Cars can drive over road hazards with minimal danger. However, many obstacles are devastating to motorcyclists. These hazards include potholes, gravel, roadkill, water, snow, and ice.
Motorcycle Crash FAQ
What Are the Causes of New Mexico Motorcycle Accidents?
Every motorcycle accident is unique. However, most accidents have similar factors that cause them. By understanding these causes, drivers of larger vehicles and motorcyclists will better understand which precautions to take to prevent accidents. Drivers who simply "don't see" motorcycles, speeding, heavy weather, dangerous roads, defective bike and auto parts, and distracted motorists can all cause motorcycle accidents in New Mexico.
What Are Common Injuries After a Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to injury when they are involved in accidents. While it is possible to sustain minor injuries or walk away with just a few cuts and bruises, that is rarely the case. Injuries caused by New Mexico motorcycle accidents include burn Injuries, spinal Injuries, road rash, broken bones, and amputation. Many of these injuries are catastrophic. Catastrophic injuries are injuries that cause a person's physical or mental function to decline. These often require a lifetime of medical care and harm an individual’s quality of life. Drivers who cause these injuries must be held accountable for the pain and loss they have caused in the life of others.
Call Our New Mexico Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
If you have been injured while riding a motorcycle due to the negligence of others, recovery is possible. Contact Arnold & Itkin today to find out how our Albuquerque motorcycle accident lawyers may be able to help you recover lost wages, medical costs, and other damages caused by your accident. When you contact our firm, you are enlisting the help of a legal team that has won billions of dollars for clients. We understand how hard these times are and will seek to provide the service you deserve to make the process simple. .
Call our New Mexico motorcycle accident attorneys today at (888) 493-1629 for a free consultation. A member of our legal team is ready to talk to you 24/7.