New Mexico Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
Was Your Loved One Victimized by Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect?
Unfortunately, incidents of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults are grossly underreported; however, that does not change the fact that such abusive behavior can be severe and even fatal. While many families turn to nursing homes to provide comprehensive care for their loved ones, this is not always what occurs. While approximately 3.2 million Americans resided in nursing homes in 2008, not all of them were treated well. In fact, recent reports have shed light on the tragic reality of many homes where abuse runs rampant.
Consider the following statistics reported by the National Center on Elder Abuse:
- 7.6 to 10% of study participants had been abused in the prior year
- Only 1 in 14 cases of elder abuse are ever reported to authorities
- 44% of a study of 2,000 nursing home residents reported abuse
- 95% stated they'd been neglected or had viewed neglect
What constitutes as nursing home abuse?
Elder abuse is not always as obvious as one might assume. There are many instances where nursing home abuse can be hard to detect.
Below, we've listed some of the most common types:
- Physical Abuse - The use of intentional force to cause physical pain or injury
- Emotional Abuse - This can range from intimidation to isolation to insults
- Sexual Abuse - Any sexual contact with an elder without their consent
- Neglect - The caretaker's failure to fulfill their obligation to their patients
- Financial Exploitation - Unauthorized use of the elder's funds
Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
If you noticed any of the following, do not hesitate to contact our firm immediately:
- Unexplained Injuries
- Drug Overdose / Failure to Take Medications
- Restraint Marks (ex: Rope Burns)
- Signs of Dementia
- Unexplained Weight Loss
- Unclean Living Conditions
Our Elder Abuse Attorneys Are Here to Help. Call (888) 493-1629 Today!
If you suspect that your loved one is being abused at a nursing home or assisted living facility, you do not have time to wait. Get the help of a professional legal representative at our firm to discuss your case and learn about all of your legal options. We can help you with a claim to protect your loved one's best interests.
Request your free case evaluation today! We're ready to take your call at (888) 493-1629.