New Mexico Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
Helping Those Harmed by Nursing Home Abuse in Albuquerque & Nationwide
Unfortunately, incidents of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults are grossly underreported; however, that does not change the fact that such abusive behavior can be severe and even fatal. While many families turn to nursing homes to provide comprehensive care for their loved ones, this is not always what occurs. While approximately 3.2 million Americans resided in nursing homes in 2008, not all of them were treated well. In fact, recent reports have shed light on the tragic reality of many homes where abuse runs rampant.
Consider the following statistics reported by the National Center on Elder Abuse:
- 7.6 to 10% of study participants had been abused in the prior year
- Only 1 in 14 cases of elder abuse are ever reported to authorities
- 44% of a study of 2,000 nursing home residents reported abuse
- 95% stated they'd been neglected or had viewed neglect
If you suspect abuse or neglect at a New Mexico nursing home, call our Albuquerque trial attorneys at (888) 493-1629.
What Constitutes Nursing Home Abuse?
Elder abuse is not always as obvious as one might assume. There are many instances where nursing home abuse can be hard to detect. That is why it is important to pay attention, to listen to your loved one, and to take immediate action if you notice any signs of potential abuse or neglect.
Below, we've listed some of the most common types of nursing home abuse and negligence:
- Physical Abuse - The use of intentional force to cause physical pain or injury.
- Emotional Abuse - This can range from intimidation to isolation to insults.
- Sexual Abuse - Any sexual contact with an elder without their consent.
- Neglect - The caretaker's failure to fulfill their obligation to their patients.
- Financial Exploitation - Unauthorized use of the elder's funds.
Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
If you noticed any of the following, do not wait to contact an Albuquerque nursing home abuse lawyer:
- Unexplained injuries
- Drug overdose / medication errors
- Restraint marks (ex: rope burns)
- Signs of dementia
- Unexplained weight loss
- Unclean living conditions
Our New Mexico Elder Abuse Attorneys Are Here to Help
If you suspect that your loved one is being abused at a nursing home or assisted living facility in Albuquerque, New Mexico, or anywhere in the U.S., you do not have time to wait. Get the help of a professional legal representative at our firm to discuss your case and learn about all of your legal options. We may be able to help you with a claim to protect your loved one's best interests and well-being.
Request your free case evaluation today! We're ready to take your call at (888) 493-1629.